Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I would like to move to South Africa next year! How difficult is it to move and find a job?

I would like to move to South Africa next year! How difficult is it to move and find a job?
I am finishing up my doctorate, and with the encouragement from one of my students, I decided to move to South Africa. I am looking for a bit of resources, support and advice. Please help me!
South Africa - 12 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
wear a condom!
2 :
On a per-capita basis, South Africa rates as having the highest rates of rape and the second-highest for murder. Personally, I'd suggest you examine whether you'd take the job on the basis of what kind of security you expect. Confer with some other colleages and see if they think it's a good idea.
3 :
First, you should VISIT. then , if you are determined to "move " there , you will have to apply for a work visa. Are you American? Even if not, sites below apply.
4 :
I agree with Charlie. And even while visiting...try and find a job BEFORE you move. It's not always that easy, even for citizens.
5 :
DON'T it's a crime zone
6 :
If you are considering emigrating for career opportunities then you should look outside of Africa. If you are a Black African but not a SA citizen before 94 then you will be considered white as far as BBBEE is concerned. You will have the same disadvantages as whites in South Africa.
7 :
the unemplyment rate is of the highest in the world. visit first and check out where in SA you want to live and try to find a job before you move here.
8 :
You haven't mentioned what field you are in and what your doctorate is. If you are thinking of going into Engineering or geology or mining or something of that nature understand that South AFrica is very sophisticated in those fields. If in medical science you are probably also behind the 8 ball unless you have a cure for AIDS. We dont believe eating fresh vegetables will cure AIDS, we have gotten over that! There are some suggestion in the answers that you do research first and perhaps come out on a Sabbatical to check SA out. Make your decision after that
9 :
Dont fukin move there !!!!!!!!!!!!!! im trying to get my dad OUT and you want to Go IN , its fukin chaos!!! seriously , hes trying to sell his farm and get the fuck out of there , havnt you heard of the killings or anything??? and the Black south africans are out of control , have you SEEN our president?????????? do yourself a favor and DONT! South Africa is a beautiful place absolutly beaaaauuuutiful , amazing and i loved growing up there, but right now ... its gotten really bad ... 4 black men attacked my dad in his own house and left him for dead , they tied him up and beat him with a walking stick and threatened him with a gun , the lady that lives with my dad got home and saw he was still breathing and took the plastic bag they had tied around his head off , hes still recovering to this day and it happened in september that they beat him , its is a beautiful farm but sadly the black south africans are going mad .. trying to kill all the whites (homocide) I have not ever been a racist until this had happened to my dad.... ... now... think about moving there...
10 :
South Africa has a real unemployment rate of anywhere between 30-40%. If you're white, its REALLY hard to get a job. Unless you already have a job offer, I wouldnt do it dude. Even blacks have a tuff time getting jobs down there. It's changed alot since the ANC took power in 1994. It's the car jacking capital of the world. Crime is very high, its a horrible place. I'd highly suggest buying a firearm if you do decide to live there. Legal or by "other" means.
11 :
its a beautiful country with plenty opportunities, like everywhere else in the world, just dont be stupid. what kind of help do you need. What field is your doctorate in ? Have a look at Career Junction .za (google it) for the types of jobs available in our country
12 :
You'd likely need to have a job first in order to get a work visa. As others said, visit first, scout for jobs, get some interviews before you pack up and relocate. @4man: please don't make me laugh with your assertion that other Western countries would be "behind the 8 ball" when it comes to medical science. I injured my ankle in SA in October. Went to two different doctors who told me it was a moderate sprain and I'd be at full function in 2-4 weeks. I'm back in the US for the holidays and went to my own doctor, who immediately diagnosed a hairline fracture (made worse by almost three months of non-treatment) and ligament damage; I'm now in an air cast which was accompanied by a strict lecture about not trusting the quality of medical care in SA. Don't kid yourself: if your physicians can't handle a basic sports injury, your health care is nothing to brag about.

Read more other entries :