Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Where too in South Africa...?

Where too in South Africa...?
So I am thinking about possibly doing my student teaching in South Africa, my two options are Port Elizabeth and Cape Town. Which would be a better city to live for 4 months?! I am not really familiar with South Africa, which is why i am considering it, because I think it would be an amazing experience!!
South Africa - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
My recommendation will be Cape town - consistently rated in the top 5 cities in the world over the past few decades. Cape Town is a tourists paradise and offers great diversity in terms of tourist destinations,entertainment(great nite life),culture, history,architecture and is the legislative capital of the country. This should be a really easy decision for you - enjoy
2 :
Cape Town is a beautiful place and there is so much to do there. Go and live for 4 months there.
3 :
Hi there, Since you said you're not really familiar with South Africa, maybe you could start with something like GoAbroad.com's Teach Abroad Directory for South Africa (http://www.teachabroad.com/SouthAfrica.cfm). There are only 3 listings(as of the moment I viewed it) but the top 2 are the most trusted by GoAbroad(given the fact that it garnered it's highest approval rating of check++ --- it's the light green icon). Another thing is that it has feedback from previous participants(the light blue "speaking logo") so go read it! That would surely help you get started. Good luck! GA :)
4 :
Which four months are you talking about? I would check that out before I made a final decision. Cape Town would also be my choice anyway but it might make a difference to you. It is always a great place with tons of great things to see and do but if you are there during their winter and you are expecting hot African weather, you could be in for a surprise. It is Africa but it also is the extreme south of the continent - as close to the South Pole as you can get in Africa and it is sometimes cold and windy in the winter. I'm not trying to dissuade you. Just go properly prepared. It's no fun expecting hot and balmy and getting cold and windy instead and not have the proper clothing. Actually, maybe going to this link would give you a clearer picture of what I am trying to say. http://www.cape-venues.co.za/site-seeing/cape-town-weather.htm I cannot remember being in Port Elizabeth during the winter months. You could try googling it - best to use http://www.google.co.za/ I could only find things about a freak storm they had a couple of years ago. Possibly someone who lives there or visits often would have a better idea.While it is a nice enough place to see, Cape Town has Sooooo much more to offer. Restaurants, shopping, theatre, jazz, ballet, golf, Did I say shopping? Museums, easy access to wine country etc etc etc. Did I say shopping? Oh I did. Well it's a great place to get beautiful and interesting things you can't get at home where ever home is. And there is always the possibility of your getting a chance to see it anyway - it's not THAT far from CT. Edit: If the thumbs down are because of my mention of the cold and winds, SAfricans are used to it; foreigners spoiled with central heating or poorly educated in African weather conditions are not. A lot of foreigners expect Equatorial type weather everywhere in Africa and that is just not the reality. I sold more tours being honest about the weather than had I would have had I fluffed over truth.
5 :
Cape Town is the obvious answer but I would recommend Port Elizabeth because even though it is also a city, the crime rate there is much less than anywhere in Cape Town which has the BIGGEST murder ratio per ca-pita in the world.

Read more other entries :