Monday, January 28, 2013

Oprah setting up new 40 Million Dollar School in South Africa..why is there a conflict?

Oprah setting up new 40 Million Dollar School in South Africa..why is there a conflict?
I was listening to the radio this morning and I hear that Oprah is setting up a school "Oprah' s Leadership School for Girls" and American parents have a problem with her. The problem, they say, is Oprah is spending dollars overseas when it could go to inner city schools in America. Oprah says when she visits American schools, the students just want her money for sneakers and iPods. Whereas the South Africans just wanted decent uniforms and education...I understand Oprah. What do you think? For the record, I agree with Oprah's response. I don't want any of you to lose track of my question here...
Other - Society & Culture - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Its her money she can ut it where she want and the School is a Great Idea
2 :
The line of thinking you describe in your question (not saying you think this way) shows the pure ignorance and cluelessness that many American people have about the poor conditions in other countries especially Africa. America has a public school system. We have a free education, and medical clinics. The African education system pales in comparsion to even our worst. Inner city children get tons of money donated to them, food stamps, welfare checks, all kinds of things handed too them...AND THEY DO NOT APPRECIATE IT!!!!!!! Sorry to generalize here, but I am tired of inner city America parents looking for handouts. You have a free education and don't take advantage of it. Maybe if some of them would have taken advantage of it, they would know why she would choose to built a school in Africa. I've sponsored children in both the U.S. and third world countries, and my third world children are SOOOOOOOO much more grateful because basic neccessities are hard to come by. They are extremely poor, so poor that most Americans have no clue how they live. My American poor children, instead of asking for basic neccessities, wanted things like fancy electronic games or cell phones, etc. or they end up dropping out of school, getting pregnant and what not. So I totally understand what Oprah is saying. People in third world countries, appreciate everything we take for granted. And I applaud Oprah for building a school for girls in Africa, an AIDS ravaged country. American women have more than enough opportunity to make something of themselves in this country, but many particularlly those of color (like myself), choose to squander it. Sorry, I got a little side tracked...but the reason there is conflict is because she is the richest black woman ever, and she has the power and the clout to throw around for good where ever she wants, and people in this racist country can't handle it. Go Oprah!!!!!
3 :
I am very happy about Oprah's decision to build a school in Africa. It is about time that someone with power and money put their money to good use, instead of using it for themselves. Don't you think? I know it is none of my business to say how people should spend their money but I give Oprah props for helping children that are in serious need of help. I think I know why most students would want Oprah's money for material things, just look at how greedy their parents are being. Kids in North America at least have an opportunity to get a decent education, in today's society it is a necessity. But children in Africa don't have this opportunity, they for one don't have the financial support they would need, plus they are expected to work at a very young age to even try to be able to eat. Way to go Oprah! Way to give children hope!

Read more other entries :