Friday, July 1, 2011

Any useful tips for study abroad in South Africa?

Any useful tips for study abroad in South Africa?
In the middle of May '09, I will be embarking on my first study abroad experience. The honors program at Keene State College, NH will be taking me and about 12 other students to South Africa, where we will engage in independent study for 3 weeks. As far as I know, subject material is free reign, and already I feel a bit overwhelmed. There is very little prep work provided from the school, and I want to make sure I get the most out of this experience as possible. I will be doing research and all sorts of stuff beforehand, but first I'd like to know a "top ten" of sorts, for traveling outside the U.S. in general and specifically, things to know before traveling to South Africa. We will be staying in various locations over the three weeks that we are there, so any information will be useful. Please, I really only want information from dedicated scholars, people who have traveled to South Africa, or, if luck is in my favor, South African natives.
South Africa - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I am a SA native. In terms of top 10 things to know , for travelling outside the USA, your best bet is this website by your own US Dept of State that is very comprehensive and inclusive.It also has country specific details and here you can read up on South Africa. http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html South Africa is a country with real natural beauty, plentiful in fauna and flora and I hope you have time to spend in Cape Town or one of the many Game parks in SA. Here is a site that tells you about tourist attractions and things to do in all 9 provinces of SA. http://www.sa-venues.com/tourist_attractions_south_africa.htm In terms of security and crime in SA I would strongly recommend that you search the resolved questions, on these subjects ,in this forum, as they are often asked I will look for a good one and post it later. Some good advise, in this neck of the woods always use protection if you land up in that position. Have a great trip, you will enjoy it we are a friendly nation. Edit : site about crime and safety. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AixM6wI8yGYAOc3o07R90obty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20081106101129AAfmXE8&show=7#profile-info-zIJ7SI5waa
2 :
Howzit Im South African Click on the link below to read the "best answer" by me regarding a question of what it is like in south africa regards GreyBlack

Read more other entries :