Tuesday, August 16, 2011

How is language instruction taught in South African schools?


How is language instruction taught in South African schools?
Do South African students have to learn all 14 of the official languages in school?, if not, what language is used in school in South Africa?
Languages - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Correction: We only have 11 official languages. I depends on what school you choose, but mother tongue education is given. I am Afrikaans, but went to a Afrikaans-English primary school. I had all my classes in Afrikaans. We have English as a subject. We also had Xhosa as a subject. When I went to high school, I went to an all Afrikaans school. Had all my classes in Afrikaans, except English as a subject. Xhosa isn't compulsory in high school, but you can still choose to do it. In my high school we could also choose to do German / French. Some schools also have Spanish, etc. But according to region / province, the third language will differ, when you are Afrikaans / English, for example you will have Tswana as a third language when you live up north and Xhosa as a third language when you live south. This is just a very rough explanation!

Read more other entries :