Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I am from South Africa currently working in the US I want to stay here. Can a fellow South African sponsor me?

I am from South Africa currently working in the US I want to stay here. Can a fellow South African sponsor me?
I want to change my J1 visa to a 4 year student visa, but I need a sponsor to stay here. Is it possible that someone from South Africa can sponsor me to stay and study here or must it be an American citizen?
Immigration - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
American citizen for sponsorship. But you don't need a sponsor for a student visa, just the money to keep yourself, and a letter of admission to an accredited school. Talk to the school about this - their admissions office will help you.
2 :
To sponsor someone for perm residency they must be immediate family, spouse, sibling, parents, children, step children. So no, not just anyone can sponsor you. To sponsor someone you must be a citizen or someone with perm residency for a certain period of time. You can change your visa for a study visa with a letter of acceptance to a school, show that you can care for yourself and your expenses.
3 :
Must be a US Citizen.
4 :
A financial sponsor can be either inside or outside of the U.S. Nothing in the law prevents an individual outside the U.S. from paying the educational costs for the student. The foreign student must still show that he or she has sufficient funds to cover education and living expenses while in the United States.

Read more other entries :