Saturday, March 1, 2014

Becomeing a jewish foreign exchange student in junior year.?

Becomeing a jewish foreign exchange student in junior year.?
Hi I'm currently a student in my sophomore year at a high school. Now I've seen a few listings on information on becoming an exchange student but i have one extra problem-- I would need to go to a Jewish school. I have thought about this and I really want to do it but one problem i face is where. I would need to go to a Jewish high school which narrows it down a lot. I also would like to do this for one semester preferably the fall (northern hemisphere) so from about late august early September till January. The places that I have become most interested in are Australia and South Africa. thanks for all your input
Studying Abroad - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
My best suggestion is contact the nearest Jewish day school and ask them if *they* have any info on schools in Australia or South Africa. If they don't they'll know who does. Alternatively you can contact the NY Federation; they should know also.
2 :
Wow. That's a toughie! You might try contacting some of the bigger programs such as YFU or AFS. Perhaps they have a solution for this. There is another alternative. If your school or family has any international connections, you can do what's known as a direct placement with any major exchange organization. That means if you know a family where you want to go that would be willing to host you and a school willing to take you, the organization would facilitate the exchange. To be honest, we had the opportunity of hosting a Jewish student once, but he was kosher and that was totally beyond our capability. It was too bad, because I thought it would have been very interesting. Good luck to you and I hope it works out!

Read more other entries :